Thursday, May 15, 2008

From Moldy Beginnings: Tender at the Bone- Growing Up at the Table by Ruth Reichl

This is the type of book that makes me want to cook, except that I don't know how to cook and, when it comes down to it, I guess I don't actually want to lift a finger, since I remain too lazy to learn.

Okay: Ruth Reichl is the food critic at The New York Times. This memoir focuses mainly on her childhood and early adulthood in New York (with a manic depressive mother who fed her sour cream sandwiches on moldy bread- hence, the title of this post), Montreal, and eventually California. Each chapter functions as a complete short story, as in each one Ruth goes through some sort of rite of passage. But connected to each important coming-of-age experience is an introduction to a particular type of food. Ruth loves eating and cooking food, and food is connected to all of her memories. Recipes are included. This book isn't necessarily anything groundbreaking, but I had an amazing time reading it. I read it in a day, actually. It's easy, warmly funny, and charming as hell.

Ruth Reichl also wrote Garlic and Sapphires: The Life of a Critic in Disguise, which is equally good, and Comfort me with Apples, which I haven't read.

No comments: